WCA Advocating for Clinical Tools for Chiropractors
Wednesday, February 7, 2018
The WCA’s Chiropractic Clinical Tools Package (AB 260/SB 232) was given a hearing by the Senate Health and Human Services Committee on Tuesday, February 6. State Representative Chuck Wichgers (R-Muskego) authored this WCA-backed legislation, known as Assembly Bill 260/Senate Bill 232, which:
• Gives chiropractors who take additional training the opportunity to perform sports physicals for student athletes in Wisconsin.
• Codifies in Wisconsin statute the long-standing ability of chiropractors to perform US Department of Transportation (DOT) driver examinations.
• Allows chiropractors to delegate appropriate services to other licensed health care professionals.
• Clarifies that chiropractors can use cold laser.
• Allows chiropractic students to apply for preceptorships (clinical internships) without having to be in their last trimester of chiropractic school.
WCA was fortunate to have Dr. Ron Boesch (pictured providing testimony at the Hearing), Dean of Clinics at Palmer College of Chiropractic in Davenport, travel to Wisconsin’s Capitol to testify on behalf of this bill. Dr. Boesch explained that over 7,500 physical exams were completed by Palmer students through June 2017. He also expressed that each school district in the Davenport and surrounding communities approves pre-participation physical examinations performed by chiropractors, and area chiropractors have provided 2,095 such physicals over the last three years.
Dr. Eric Gormanson (pictured alongside Dr. Boesch) shared his experience as a licensed Doctor of Chiropractic and spoke about the real-world benefits of the Chiropractic Clinical Tools Package. His experience includes performing at least 100 pre-participation sports physicals while practicing in Missouri, without any additional training or certification.
WCA would like to thank Dr. Boesch and Dr. Gormanson for traveling to the Capitol and providing these exceptionally valuable testimonies in support of this legislation.
The citizens of Wisconsin deserve the choice to receive thorough physical examinations from licensed and qualified Doctors of Chiropractic. The bill has already passed the Wisconsin State Assembly, and with this hearing in the Senate Committee on Health, is positioned for a committee vote prior to going to the State Senate for a floor vote.
WCA President Dr. Gene Yellen-Shiring also previously authored an Op-Ed in support of this bill, known as AB260/SB 232. Please stay tuned for further development on this legislation.
Read the Op-Ed from WCA President Dr. Gene Yellen-Shiring