This four (4) hour course will provide Doctors of Chiropractic with current information and practical skills relating to evaluation and management of sports related concussion including chiropractic care. Management and return to play decision making is provided with emphasis on the role of the doctor of chiropractic as the primary provider. This course emphasizes current evidence based care through lecture, case studies and hands-on-learning. Specific topics include defining concussion, special populations and concussion, sideline and in office, and integrative analysis of best care pathways for the concussed individual.
· Analyze the history and physical examination finding of sports related concussion to determine clearance to participate.
· Recognize and perform the key components of the standardized concussion assessment.
· Demonstration of head injury evaluation, management and care pathways in sport.
· Identify the clinical manifestations of increasing intracerebral pressure and apply the correct care pathways for management.
· Obtain a focused history for individuals presenting with sports related concussion.
· Perform a neurological, neuropsychological and orthopedic examination of the individual with a possible concussion.
· Create a management plan for individuals presenting with a concussive injury.
· Manage concussion in special populations in sport to include the female athlete, and the adolescent and pediatric athlete.
Perform the skills and synthesize the results of the serial examination to develop correct care management decision in the individual with evolving illness or injury
First Time WCA Class Registrant? Learn More Here
Download Registration Form